Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my blog. If you feel inclined to comment on a post, just click on the "comment" link at the bottom of the post. I would love to hear from you! If you are new to my blog, check out the archived blog posts listed in the left column.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009



If you have a few minutes, click on the videos below. One of them is an interview with John C McGinley from the show "Scrubs". John has a son with DS. He speaks about why the word "retard" is so hurtful and why we should stop using it in everyday conversation. Personally, there have been many times when I have said to myself "oh, I am so retarded" because I was clumsy or hopeless in a situation. I actually started saying it to myself the other night, and I immediately stopped and thought about how unknowingly hurtful I could be to others if I actually spoke it outloud. According to the Special Olympics website, the word conjures up a painful stereotype of people with intellectual disabilities. It can hurt, even if it is not meant in that way.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment!